Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Forums discussing Antennas And Towers, Including Homebrew Antennas
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Post by WZ7U »

Just wondering what others are using for their skyhooks out there right now.

Currently I'm in my 1/4 wave ground plane phase with one up for 40m and putting the finishing touches on one for 20m.

There are plans for a 75m loop up about 50' (and I actually have all the paraphernalia for that one) but I might have to change out the paracord for the black dacron if we decide to be here more than a couple years. The problem I've read with paracord is it doesn't hold up to UV very well which is a problem in localities that experience significant sunlight. In CN86jc, thats not really a problem unlike the rest of you folks. As much, anyway. Besides, if we move in a couple years to the actual coast, having paracord for that length of time doesn't matter much IMO.

Now, I do have the option of forgoing the loop and putting that roll of 10ga THHN up to be an inverted L. I think it's around 280' on that spool IIRC. That would put me on top band, which is something I've always wanted. But then I would need a remote tuner which won't happen anytime soon I'm afraid.

I'm pretty sure I will get another ground plane up for 6m so I can work the few repeaters there are around here. I've not worked repeaters with any regularity since y2k, and only got ATNO's on 6 with a repeater New Years Day when I loaded up the 40m vertical on 6. I only was able to open one machine (52.85, KR7IS in Timber, OR) which was an achievement in itself considering all the hills I had to go through to get to it.

I'm always scrounging things that could feed my antenna habit, and sometimes hold on to these things for many years before using them to any advantage. I feel I'm not alone in that one. :-)

So, what are you doing out there to get yourself on the air?
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Post by KD8DEY »

I don't have anything up at the moment, But I do have one of those G5RV variants stuffed in a box.
Mowing season is about over, So I should be able to put it up when it will no longer be in the Landlords way.
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: Which type of ham antennas are you currently using and/or planning on putting up?

Post by W9FTV »

I've got an 80 - 10m vertical I normally use. Now that it's cooling off, I'll be putting the fan dipole back up.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Endeavor to persevere -- Chief Dan George
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

Have you ever heard of a "Turkr\ry Foot"? It;s made similar to an OCF but has 4 elements of different lengths spaced out. one on one side with 3 spaced out on the other.Saw a reference to it a couple years ago, BUT I dont have that kind of real estate to try one.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

The vast rolling 1/4 acreage of Maison Foobar barely supports 40 meters adequately. :(
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

If you think you have it rough. Try mounting a mast in a weighted 5 gallon pickle barrel.
in a space 3 feet wide, along the length of a mobile home...
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

I don't have it rough at all, but between the space & spouse limitations there's not a whole lot of room for an antenna farm. :MrGreen:
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

What do you use for fertilizer? all i get are nails.
Or do you think I got the wrong seed??!!
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Today, after reading Bubba's TOS and reporting myself, I received what I believe is the first administrative spanking for using vulgar language on forums.cornpone.net. :Brzzzzz: :Have_a_Nice_Day:
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

See what you get for reading and writing? :grin:
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Antennas and Tower Talk”