WEll...That was Fun...

Software and Computer Discussions as Related to Amateur Radio
United States of America KD8DEY
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

WEll...That was Fun...

Post by KD8DEY »

I now have the computer Dual Booting into a Debian Distro...
Did all the updates it wanted...
Even found the Printer drivers in a Debian package. Even though I don't have a scan/fax menu, at least I can Print...
Found a quick and dirty little app to make the grub load windows first in the menu

)(@*%#^ clock keeps setting itself 4 hours fast in windows...
Apparently the 2 OS'es dont play well together when it comes to time...

Clock was set right in windows, Time zone etc, default time server etc etc etc...
Went round & round between the 2. Boot into Linux, the clock was right. Reboot into Windows, the time was ahead by 4 Hours even though all the settings were correct...
After playing around with time server settings etc in linux, I finally found the answer doing a search of the problem....)(*&%$%&*
Is it just me, or does "Googling Yourself" just not sound right?..
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Re: WEll...That was Fun...

Post by W9FTV »

I thought you'dve told me to pound sand when I said dual boot linux & windows. I didn't expect you to go and do it, Bubba :LOL:
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Endeavor to persevere -- Chief Dan George
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

W9FTV wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:49 pm I thought you'dve told me to pound sand when I said dual boot linux & windows. I didn't expect you to go and do it, Bubba :LOL:
Plenty of drive space to play around with without running out of resources.... :Yaeh:
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

A heapin' helping of masochism doesn't hurt either.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

W9FTV wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm A heapin' helping of masochism doesn't hurt either.
timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock helps a lot too...
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

W9FTV wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:23 pm A heapin' helping of masochism doesn't hurt either.
^^^Like^^^
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Bubbathegimp wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:42 pm timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock helps a lot too...
I just learned something new. I don't dual boot so I've never run into that problem.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by KD8DEY »

Interesting...

So far, It seems to me that Linux is practically stuck in the 90's (Win 3.11 era) with Windows 3.11 having the advantage...
I understand that Linux is a community effort, But the only thing it has going for it so far is that Google Chrome, and Firefox/Thunderbird & VLC are available for it.

Windows 3.11 was a lot simpler to install programs, and customize the windows. In Linux if you try to clean up unneeded programs you are liable to break something (Such as networking if you allow it to remove dependencies you didn't know something else required )...(Then you end up re-installing everything to try to fix it being a noob, even though the Distro is supposed to be noob friendly)

Found out the hard way that Windows and Linux don't play well together when it comes to the system clock..
Boot into Linux, and the clocks fine, reboot into Windows, and the clock is 5 hours fast even when the time zone settings etc are correct....

Took a while to get VLC to play even though it is included in the distribution..(Codec issues)...

Still got a ways to go to find programs comparable to whats easily installable and available in windows...

If you can find a program in a .DEB file, it's simple enough to install. I was able to find them for my Printer...
Still need to find an MP3/CD player with a decent menu system, better Zip utilities etc, word processor/office suit... & figure out how to install stuff in non Deb packages besides the Synaptic package handler...
A few new commands Sudo apt-get remove (Package)....
Sudo apt-get update...etc
Also found a program that restores (Somewhat) the classic windows 7 Menu in windows 8, making Windows 8 a little more tolerable...
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Admittedly the linux desktop does suck quite a bit especially if you're used to Windows or MacOS. Coming from the UNIX world to either of those, is for me, just as weird and unsatisfying. Audio and video codecs are a pain in the butt due to the desire of the linux distros to keep their software 'pure' and free of licensed software. Same with lots of hardware drivers, especially for Nvidia video cards. Software installation removal can be considerably more difficult because of the incestuous sharing of code that doesn't exist to the same degree in the licensed OS & software realms. Take a look at 'apt-get autoremove' for that. It cleans up old unused software automatically. Where Linux and UNIX really shine is in the server space, and on Android phones too.
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

I did a clean install of Ubuntu 18.10 on my laptop. Booting is fast!
It boots within 10-12 seconds now. 18.04 took about 45 sec to a minute to boot even after getting rid services started at boot that I don't need.
Ubuntu's has gotten rid of the Unity desktop and went back to Gnome for the default.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Computers and Software”