Bread and Circuses

Moderator: W9FTV

Forum rules
The opinions expressed in this Forum are those of the authors. They do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of CORNPONE or its members.
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Bread and Circuses

Post by W9FTV »

This phrase originates from Rome in Satire X of the Roman satirical poet Juvenal (circa AD 100). In context, the Latin panem et circenses (bread and circuses) identifies the only remaining interest of a Roman populace which no longer cares for its historical birthright of political involvement. Here Juvenal displays his contempt for the declining heroism of contemporary Romans, using a range of different themes including lust for power and desire for old age to illustrate his argument.[6] Roman politicians passed laws in 140 BC to keep the votes of poorer citizens, by introducing a grain dole: giving out cheap food and entertainment, "bread and circuses", became the most effective way to rise to power.
… Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.[7]

Latin deleted, see the link to the article below if you want to read it for yourself.

Juvenal makes reference to the Roman practice of providing free wheat to Roman citizens as well as costly circus games and other forms of entertainment as a means of gaining political power. The Annona (grain dole) was begun under the instigation of the popularis politician Gaius Sempronius Gracchus in 123 BC; it remained an object of political contention until it was taken under the control of the autocratic Roman emperors.
-- Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Never ring the bell. -- Adm William McRaven
United States of America WZ7U
Reactions:

Re: Bread and Circuses

Post by WZ7U »

Sad that its come to this in the history of our republic.
Then there was this..

de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
AC8UN
Reactions:

Post by AC8UN »

W9FTV wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 pm This phrase originates from Rome in Satire X of the Roman satirical poet Juvenal (circa AD 100). In context, the Latin panem et circenses (bread and circuses) identifies the only remaining interest of a Roman populace which no longer cares for its historical birthright of political involvement. Here Juvenal displays his contempt for the declining heroism of contemporary Romans, using a range of different themes including lust for power and desire for old age to illustrate his argument.[6] Roman politicians passed laws in 140 BC to keep the votes of poorer citizens, by introducing a grain dole: giving out cheap food and entertainment, "bread and circuses", became the most effective way to rise to power.
… Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses.[7]

Latin deleted, see the link to the article below if you want to read it for yourself.

Juvenal makes reference to the Roman practice of providing free wheat to Roman citizens as well as costly circus games and other forms of entertainment as a means of gaining political power. The Annona (grain dole) was begun under the instigation of the popularis politician Gaius Sempronius Gracchus in 123 BC; it remained an object of political contention until it was taken under the control of the autocratic Roman emperors.
-- Wikipedia
And now much of the population wait for their hand out and ask a box to entertain them.
Instead of finding something useful to do and educating themselves. :Thumbdown:
Now civilized for your protection. :Grin:
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

AC8UN wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:38 am
W9FTV wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:24 pm This phrase originates from Rome in Satire X of the Roman satirical poet Juvenal (circa AD 100). In context, the Latin panem et circenses (bread and circuses) identifies the only remaining interest of a Roman populace which no longer cares for its historical birthright of political involvement. Here Juvenal displays his contempt for the declining heroism of contemporary Romans, using a range of different themes including lust for power and desire for old age to illustrate his argument.[6] Roman politicians passed laws in 140 BC to keep the votes of poorer citizens, by introducing a grain dole: giving out cheap food and entertainment, "bread and circuses", became the most effective way to rise to power.

-- Wikipedia
And now much of the population wait for their hand out and ask a box to entertain them.
:Dontknow:
Too many I'm sure. But where do you draw the line? My yl is on disability, probably for life and right now I'm doing the student loans thing trying to get a career track more conducive to my new medically related realities. We've all seen people in the supermarket checkout using food stamps wearing designer clothes and driving a much nicer and newer car than we have. How do we fix that? Should we institute a brownshirt brigade to go around and detect welfare abuse and fraud, or is there even an effective unit now that takes care of this? I'm all for means testing but where do you draw the line...

I know if you were convicted of a drug crime you are ineligible for student loans. Maybe that requirement should be broadened to include all forms of handouts. (Although, trust me, a student loan isn't a handout. More like a lower interest loan that compounds relentlessly)
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
AC8UN
Reactions:

Post by AC8UN »

WZ7U wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm
AC8UN wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:38 am

-- Wikipedia
:Dontknow:
Too many I'm sure. But where do you draw the line? My yl is on disability, probably for life and right now I'm doing the student loans thing trying to get a career track more conducive to my new medically related realities. We've all seen people in the supermarket checkout using food stamps wearing designer clothes and driving a much nicer and newer car than we have. How do we fix that? Should we institute a brownshirt brigade to go around and detect welfare abuse and fraud, or is there even an effective unit now that takes care of this? I'm all for means testing but where do you draw the line...

I know if you were convicted of a drug crime you are ineligible for student loans. Maybe that requirement should be broadened to include all forms of handouts. (Although, trust me, a student loan isn't a handout. More like a lower interest loan that compounds relentlessly)
Eric I'm in the same boat collecting disability at a much too young age, I gave my heart (literally) to the trucking industry. And it bothers me to do nothing.

But you are on the right path trying to squire knowledge that you can use to become a productive citizen again. Too many young or old will not do this. Yes the student loans are a pain and expensive, but once you have gained that knowledge at least they can't repossess it. :Grin:

I worry that to many take out the loans with no thought of repayment, or what it will take to do so. And many take out loans for degrees that aren't financially gainful. I just wish we could make more people see that in many cases it's just a shell game foisted upon an unsuspecting public. :Dounlebirdie:
Now civilized for your protection. :Grin:
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

Boy howdy!
My first degree (AAS) is in CAD drafting. Man, I thought I was going to be somebody! Until I figured out too late that at most places, a CAD associates isn't enough. Around here they want guys with a bachelors in some discipline of engineering, with CAD experience as a requirement, not an end all/be all. Except, bless their hearts, a utility at the coast (Tillamook) every year puts up an ad for a summer CAD intern (@ $18.50/hr) which is great except its 2+ hours each way, every day, to get there from here. I can see the hour/15 each way to Portland on I-5, but to do the twisting highway 101 is nuts. Maybe if we lived at the coast, but from here the fuel alone would eat us alive not to mention the wear and tear on a 16 year old car with 230k already on the clock and shit credit. So, now I'm headed towards an AAS in Accounting; lots of accounting jobs out there all over the place, all the time. I figure I will be paying off student loans when I'm 75, so I'm not sure who got the deal there. Not the fed.

Don't feel bad, trucking helped put me where I'm at today too. All that sitting with all that Petro/Flying J/TA/Pilot food helped push my shit over the edge starting when I was in my early 40's with chest pain & dizziness, but really didn't know what was going on till my 48th birthday present of a minor infarction (didn't feel minor to me) with stent-less angioplasty and it's been downhill ever since with a double bypass on Christmas '17. Gotta love genetics....

Still, I feel OK about taking some out of a system I've paid into since I was 14 with my first W2 job. I get state medicaid and about $80 in food stamps a month, which is all I really need right now. It's quite the mental exercise to live on $300 a month after ever increasing expenses. Summer fuel is a bitch, lucky us our rent is astronomically low compared to everyone else out here in the PNW thanks to mom having an extra house. Plus, doing odd jobs helps, sometimes the odder the better. We're doing fine; still respirating atmosphere and making a turd now and again.
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Here's a damning indictment of our society considering how heavily entertaintment 'celebrities' figure prominently:
http://time.com/collection/100-most-inf ... ople-2019/

I doubt it's intended that way, but I've always been more than a bit sceptical
of what others think is important. It's nice to see there are still like minds.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

WZ7U wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:44 pm Still, I feel OK about taking some out of a system I've paid into since I was 14 with my first W2 job. I get state medicaid and about $80 in food stamps a month, which is all I really need right now.
That's exactly why these support systems exist. I think means testing is a great idea, but have no idea how to implement it properly and I'm pretty sure no one else does either. Even if things work as intended, you can be sure that some will still slip through the cracks or be flagged improperly. That's why making sure sane review and appeal processes are in place is absolutely necessary.
Reactions:

Post by WZ7U »

W9FTV wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 pm Here's a damning indictment of our society considering how heavily entertaintment 'celebrities' figure prominently:
http://time.com/collection/100-most-inf ... ople-2019/
Yeah, I call bullshit on that list. I only recognized a very few of those folks and of the ones I did, even fewer would I classify as top 100 influential of 2019. Plus, am I the only one that noticed that 2019 is only about 1/3 over so far? :Rolling:
de Eric, WZ7U, CN86jc
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

I heard this on the radio today and immediately thought of this thread:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic