Software and Computer Discussions as Related to Amateur Radio
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Want WiFi that really works?

Post by W9FTV »

Ubiquiti Networks http://www.ubnt.com
I don't work for them, but I am a very happy customer. They used to only supply enterprise gear, but are branching out into the SOHO area.

Take a look at the Aircube as a replacement router/access point.
https://www.ubnt.com/accessories/aircube/
I bought one about 6 months ago and scrapped the rest of my wireless gear at home after a week of testing.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Endeavor to persevere -- Chief Dan George
W1TRY
Curious
Curious
Reactions:

Re: Want WiFi that really works?

Post by W1TRY »

Thank you for this, I'm going to look into it. I'd like better WiFi coverage around the 'estate' next year and my tiny, tiny brain has been struggling with a direction to go in. I'm on pain meds from a back surgery at the moment, so I'll need to focus a bit better to study the company products and see what I'd need. I was shocked at the pricing, I expected 800 bucks, not less than 80.
Tryon
Get off my lawn!
United States of America W9FTV
Site Admin
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by W9FTV »

Their pricing was a nice surprise. They also make some nice higher power 3.6 Ghz stuff that could be used by hams pretty easily. I beleive it's possible to request that it to be tuned to the ham band, but I think this requires proof of license.
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. --Winston Churchill
Endeavor to persevere -- Chief Dan George
N0NB
Curious
Curious
Reactions:

Post by N0NB »

I first started using Ubiquity stuff back in late summer 2009 to setup a 5 GHz link between here and my brother's place about 1.5 miles away using Nanostation Loco 5 units. The reliability was off the charts with no failures until this past summer when the one on this end went FUBAR after a storm even though I never heard any thunder nearby. I grabbed another I had in service at the APRS digi, reconfigured it and got the link back up and then reconfigured the first one for use at the APRS digi.

Since then I've put those things in service all over the place including a 2.4 GHz unit that links the calving barn to the Air Router in his house, though I did shoehorn a version of OpenWRT onto it in order to use relayd so it would act like a transparent bridge. Good hardware at reasonable prices.

The WISP uses their 3.6 GHz stuff to their customers now. I have their NanoBridge hanging on the tower.
If a pair of wires can be connected more than one way, the first way will blow the fuse.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Computers and Software”